Skip to main content

Her last words as a Lioness 



 

 

Wish I could cart you to the past
showing what you've missed, 
Things that did not last
I bet there'd be a list
of wildlife that you've never seen
How the forest was 
Before in the world you've been 

Oh such a pitiful thing to know and tell
A cub like you has known no den 
Your habitat's snatched, your rights are too
I'm sorry darling, I couldn't give those to you 
But though I'm old and my power's all gone
I can give this in my last few breaths 
it isn't much dear, just some advice to pass on
don't let yourself obsess over grass 
start admiring the glass
'cause those cages you know, will be your new home
and in a month or two
you'll be in the vulnerable few

Know this though, you'll be just fine 
you'll adapt well with it over time
I know you'll live well by yourself
But this lioness, will never forgive herself 
For she's the mother who never could show you the trees, 
The rivers, the forest, the moon and the breeze

Comments

Post a Comment

Suggestions? Comments? Critical opinions? I'm all ears!

Popular posts from this blog

The Forced Carnival

[Image source:  AI-generated with DALL·E] Some of the most remarkable experiences in life aren't necessarily 'fun'. They're deep as poetry, moving as the ocean waves and layered with intermixing emotions.  With this piece I wanted to highlight how joy shouldn't be compulsive, or how 'fun' isn't 'fun' if fun needs to be chased. ~~~ You must assemble near the Ferris wheel,  and we’ll play a game of deception We’ll sprint after ‘fun’ on broken glass, and catch only its reflection We must ride the Ferris wheel at sunset, and we’ll smile no matter how tired we’ve been We’ll smile for the strangers, the cameras, the aesthetic, we’ll smile because our ‘fun’ needs to be seen Dizzy as we may be, we’ll keep the wheel turning, unease building as we reach the top But if the social script demands we ride, What’s a little nausea to make us stop? We’ll ascend with rehearsed glee, screams buckled in for more Convinced the view will be different, though we’ve see...

Paul Hugo

(Image source: Wix Image Creator)

They knew better

From the window, she could see the rain pelting down. She was an artist, a songwriter, a grandmother, a brave woman. She was so many things- but in that moment as she followed her gaze along the tracks in mud left by the pouring rain, she felt suspended between the realms of life and death.  She checked the wall clock out of habit, the minute hand not having shifted an inch since she last checked. Within an hour, she would know for sure the results of her PET scan report. In the upcoming sixty minutes of her life, she would know at last if she was cancer-free. The time gap was analogous to a journey of miles and all she had was a bullock-cart. One would expect the mind to crumple down with anxiety under similar conditions but she was known to be an exceptionally calm woman. Her approach towards an organized life had her so prepared, that her retirement life was sorted by her twenties. Having lost her parents at the tender age of eight, death was no stranger to her. Her only concern...