Skip to main content

He hated flowers

 

He hated flowers...

I once met a guy
who looked older than his age
whose behavior was weird
and opinions beyond strange

He received flowers daily
bouquets of beautiful
Jasmine, Rose, Lily
but trashed all instead
"I hate flowers" he often said

I wondered where that came from
and asked him too
he said "The answer's too deep,
too dark for you"

When my curiosity would reach its peak
I would force him to finally speak
"I've just spent too long 'round flowers"
I'd wonder then, just how many hours?

Just how long would that take you
To wish flowers were out of your view?

"So you live in a garden!" I exclaimed with surprise
Just when a sad smile reached his eyes
"Never grow up" he whispered and went
After years I now know just what he meant

As I receive bouquets from fakers
and more from those I barely knew
I wish I could go back in the past
and forget flowers lie in cemeteries too

 -Palavi Karnik

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Forced Carnival

[Image source:  AI-generated with DALL·E] Some of the most remarkable experiences in life aren't necessarily 'fun'. They're deep as poetry, moving as the ocean waves and layered with intermixing emotions.  With this piece I wanted to highlight how joy shouldn't be compulsive, or how 'fun' isn't 'fun' if fun needs to be chased. ~~~ You must assemble near the Ferris wheel,  and we’ll play a game of deception We’ll sprint after ‘fun’ on broken glass, and catch only its reflection We must ride the Ferris wheel at sunset, and we’ll smile no matter how tired we’ve been We’ll smile for the strangers, the cameras, the aesthetic, we’ll smile because our ‘fun’ needs to be seen Dizzy as we may be, we’ll keep the wheel turning, unease building as we reach the top But if the social script demands we ride, What’s a little nausea to make us stop? We’ll ascend with rehearsed glee, screams buckled in for more Convinced the view will be different, though we’ve see...

Paul Hugo

(Image source: Wix Image Creator)

They knew better

From the window, she could see the rain pelting down. She was an artist, a songwriter, a grandmother, a brave woman. She was so many things- but in that moment as she followed her gaze along the tracks in mud left by the pouring rain, she felt suspended between the realms of life and death.  She checked the wall clock out of habit, the minute hand not having shifted an inch since she last checked. Within an hour, she would know for sure the results of her PET scan report. In the upcoming sixty minutes of her life, she would know at last if she was cancer-free. The time gap was analogous to a journey of miles and all she had was a bullock-cart. One would expect the mind to crumple down with anxiety under similar conditions but she was known to be an exceptionally calm woman. Her approach towards an organized life had her so prepared, that her retirement life was sorted by her twenties. Having lost her parents at the tender age of eight, death was no stranger to her. Her only concern...