Skip to main content

Chapter 2. Did you know?




 2.Did you know?


“How did it go?” Cam asked. 

“Not an ideal first day of college”

“Oh”


I gave him a sad smile. He returned it too. In that moment, we said everything without words. Everything about how he was sorry my classmates found out, about how I knew I would never really be accepted in society, about how it felt to be illegitimate. Everything. It’s fascinating just how much a sad smile can hide. 


As we were crossing the footpath beside one of those beautiful ponds in the city, he asked me pointing at the water lilies “Lara? Did you know water lilies lasted for only three to five days?” 


Cam was sad. I knew it since he would throw random facts my way whenever he was. His way of coping up, I assumed. 


“No, I didn’t know that.”

~~~

“Hello?!” yelled the young man in the floral shop in the North-west valley.  He seemed to have been calling my name for a while now but I didn’t realise. 


“Yeah, sorry. Can I have a bouquet of blue water lilies please?” 


“Hmm…water lilies. It’s around late evening ma’am and around this time-”


Yeah, I knew what he was about to say next. I heard it in Cam’s voice. 

~~~

“And Lara, did you know they closed in the evening? Around night?”


“I didn’t know that either. But did you know” I was in tears and barely managing to breathe. 

“Once the flower can’t take it any longer, it slowly starts sinking into the water. Such a bad thing to happen to something isn’t it? When staying afloat seems pain. Living feels pain” 


“But Lara, you know what else always stays afloat? Dead bodies. Living entities naturally sink. They teach themselves how to swim” 


And just like that he had said everything again. He had given me hope. Not just hope, a thin rope to cling to while falling off a cliff. 

~~~

“Ma’am? It’ll cost you three dollars” said the cashier, shoving me back to the present. 


“Yes, thank you” 


I grabbed the bouquet and left. This time, I couldn’t muster the kind of courage to cycle further and go where I was supposed to. So I took a U-turn and left for home.


‘Today isn’t the right day’ I told the Cam in my head. 


“Tomorrow though, I promise I’ll swim. At least try to swim. 

For you.”


Comments

  1. Really nice use of words Palavi. Waiting for the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! 😇
      Next chapter will be out this Friday, hope you like it :)

      Delete
  2. I can’t wait for the next chapter!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Suggestions? Comments? Critical opinions? I'm all ears!

Popular posts from this blog

The Forced Carnival

[Image source:  AI-generated with DALL·E] Some of the most remarkable experiences in life aren't necessarily 'fun'. They're deep as poetry, moving as the ocean waves and layered with intermixing emotions.  With this piece I wanted to highlight how joy shouldn't be compulsive, or how 'fun' isn't 'fun' if fun needs to be chased. ~~~ You must assemble near the Ferris wheel,  and we’ll play a game of deception We’ll sprint after ‘fun’ on broken glass, and catch only its reflection We must ride the Ferris wheel at sunset, and we’ll smile no matter how tired we’ve been We’ll smile for the strangers, the cameras, the aesthetic, we’ll smile because our ‘fun’ needs to be seen Dizzy as we may be, we’ll keep the wheel turning, unease building as we reach the top But if the social script demands we ride, What’s a little nausea to make us stop? We’ll ascend with rehearsed glee, screams buckled in for more Convinced the view will be different, though we’ve see...

Paul Hugo

(Image source: Wix Image Creator)

They knew better

From the window, she could see the rain pelting down. She was an artist, a songwriter, a grandmother, a brave woman. She was so many things- but in that moment as she followed her gaze along the tracks in mud left by the pouring rain, she felt suspended between the realms of life and death.  She checked the wall clock out of habit, the minute hand not having shifted an inch since she last checked. Within an hour, she would know for sure the results of her PET scan report. In the upcoming sixty minutes of her life, she would know at last if she was cancer-free. The time gap was analogous to a journey of miles and all she had was a bullock-cart. One would expect the mind to crumple down with anxiety under similar conditions but she was known to be an exceptionally calm woman. Her approach towards an organized life had her so prepared, that her retirement life was sorted by her twenties. Having lost her parents at the tender age of eight, death was no stranger to her. Her only concern...