Skip to main content

Identical




If I had to choose the most wanted, most favourite, most loved, most unwanted, and most hated people in my life, all the above would come down to the same person- my identical twin. 

She and I haven't done a single task without each other. Sometimes I try to imagine how life would be had she not been my sister but I just can not get myself to see a reality where we are not together. 

When we were younger, she would spend hours after hours talking with me. When we were in middle school, she only ever acknowledged me before she went somewhere outside the house. That was also, just for the sake of it. 

Lately, she doesn't even stop to check in on me. Not that I make any efforts on my part. You see, I've got this big ego. If she won't initiate a conversation I'd rather let the silent treatment take over than breaking the silence. 

One day her ignorance had reached its zenith though. While talking with a stranger on phone she said she was the only daughter. Which obviously implied we weren't related. 

Perplexed and deeply hurt, I thought of picking up the vase that rested on my corner table and aim for the giant glass wall which separated our identical rooms. 

I shoved that thought into my virtual trash can. Ruining her room would do no good. It would, in fact, ruin my own too. 

Besides, I pity my sister at times. She's always trapped behind those giant glass walls and seems to have only a few friends. That doesn't in any way explain why she shall ignore me but it does become a reason why I forgive her. 

The same pity show went on for a few days more, then months, years, and decades later, one fine day...she noticed me.

She came with an interior decorator and the latter's assistant followed. The former looked at me with all possible disgust before she declared I had to be replaced. My heart ached with pain but my eyes were normal. 

In fact, I found myself coordinating with my twin's actions even after all these years. 

Like one eye works with the other for an entire life without ever really seeing each other if not in front of a mirror.

That day, I came to know...it was me who was trapped behind the mirror. On the other end. But before I could come forward and for once talk with my twin instead of reciprocating her actions, I was squashed by the interior decorator's assistant while my sister said,

"yep, time to get a better mirror."



Comments

  1. The story is absolutely beautiful! I really like how you kept it realistic while avoiding any drama but still keeping the storyline intriguing!! And the ending was the cherry on top! Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the appreciation Sanika! Means a lot to me :)
      Keep reading :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Suggestions? Comments? Critical opinions? I'm all ears!

Popular posts from this blog

The Forced Carnival

[Image source:  AI-generated with DALL·E] Some of the most remarkable experiences in life aren't necessarily 'fun'. They're deep as poetry, moving as the ocean waves and layered with intermixing emotions.  With this piece I wanted to highlight how joy shouldn't be compulsive, or how 'fun' isn't 'fun' if fun needs to be chased. ~~~ You must assemble near the Ferris wheel,  and we’ll play a game of deception We’ll sprint after ‘fun’ on broken glass, and catch only its reflection We must ride the Ferris wheel at sunset, and we’ll smile no matter how tired we’ve been We’ll smile for the strangers, the cameras, the aesthetic, we’ll smile because our ‘fun’ needs to be seen Dizzy as we may be, we’ll keep the wheel turning, unease building as we reach the top But if the social script demands we ride, What’s a little nausea to make us stop? We’ll ascend with rehearsed glee, screams buckled in for more Convinced the view will be different, though we’ve see...

Paul Hugo

(Image source: Wix Image Creator)

They knew better

From the window, she could see the rain pelting down. She was an artist, a songwriter, a grandmother, a brave woman. She was so many things- but in that moment as she followed her gaze along the tracks in mud left by the pouring rain, she felt suspended between the realms of life and death.  She checked the wall clock out of habit, the minute hand not having shifted an inch since she last checked. Within an hour, she would know for sure the results of her PET scan report. In the upcoming sixty minutes of her life, she would know at last if she was cancer-free. The time gap was analogous to a journey of miles and all she had was a bullock-cart. One would expect the mind to crumple down with anxiety under similar conditions but she was known to be an exceptionally calm woman. Her approach towards an organized life had her so prepared, that her retirement life was sorted by her twenties. Having lost her parents at the tender age of eight, death was no stranger to her. Her only concern...