Skip to main content

The deadliest of the lot

 

On one of the parapet walls on the rooftop of a deserted skyscraper stood a middle aged man. He seemed to have one of those faces with a permanent frown, huge dark circles and highly wrinkled cheeks. 
He held a clear green bottle of beer in one hand and an empty one in another. 
 
I had an urge to immediately rush his way but I had known better. 
I knew for a reason that, that parapet wall gave me an electrifying sort of thrill, as though challenging me to jump. What was disturbing though, was how although I hate to admit, I liked the feeling. I feared liking the feeling, craving it and giving in to it too.
 
But people like this man kept coming here on this infamous rooftop occasionally, luring me towards those awaiting walls.
 
Within the wink of an eye, his right leg was suspended beyond the parapet over nothingness...unless of course, you count the ground fifty floors below. 
 
This time I couldn't help but sprint towards him. I regretted the action right the next instant for I knew the chain of events that followed far too well. 
 
The man's expressions grew graver, his mind malfunctioning like a short circuited system. As he starred once again into the space of nothingness, I knew what followed was inevitable. 
 
Like all previous times, all the times to come, I crossed through his mind with light's speed and followed him along his last jump and until his last breath. 
 
Nope, I'm no spirit, no monster, no soul, no demon, no ghost.
I could be more disastrous, more devastating...
I am the deadliest of the lot
I am a thought
 
...just a thought. 

Comments

  1. Vortexwastaken (Dmmt)17 March 2022 at 00:11

    I was reading the story in 3D.It is that great. Miss Palavi Karnik is really improving ��. Great job .. keep it up ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Suggestions? Comments? Critical opinions? I'm all ears!

Popular posts from this blog

The Forced Carnival

[Image source:  AI-generated with DALL·E] Some of the most remarkable experiences in life aren't necessarily 'fun'. They're deep as poetry, moving as the ocean waves and layered with intermixing emotions.  With this piece I wanted to highlight how joy shouldn't be compulsive, or how 'fun' isn't 'fun' if fun needs to be chased. ~~~ You must assemble near the Ferris wheel,  and we’ll play a game of deception We’ll sprint after ‘fun’ on broken glass, and catch only its reflection We must ride the Ferris wheel at sunset, and we’ll smile no matter how tired we’ve been We’ll smile for the strangers, the cameras, the aesthetic, we’ll smile because our ‘fun’ needs to be seen Dizzy as we may be, we’ll keep the wheel turning, unease building as we reach the top But if the social script demands we ride, What’s a little nausea to make us stop? We’ll ascend with rehearsed glee, screams buckled in for more Convinced the view will be different, though we’ve see...

Paul Hugo

(Image source: Wix Image Creator)

They knew better

From the window, she could see the rain pelting down. She was an artist, a songwriter, a grandmother, a brave woman. She was so many things- but in that moment as she followed her gaze along the tracks in mud left by the pouring rain, she felt suspended between the realms of life and death.  She checked the wall clock out of habit, the minute hand not having shifted an inch since she last checked. Within an hour, she would know for sure the results of her PET scan report. In the upcoming sixty minutes of her life, she would know at last if she was cancer-free. The time gap was analogous to a journey of miles and all she had was a bullock-cart. One would expect the mind to crumple down with anxiety under similar conditions but she was known to be an exceptionally calm woman. Her approach towards an organized life had her so prepared, that her retirement life was sorted by her twenties. Having lost her parents at the tender age of eight, death was no stranger to her. Her only concern...