Skip to main content

She was gold



I always knew she was gold 

and that I was lead

She breezed through the day 

when I spent hours in my head


I knew she was the Goddess of perfection 

Her smile was enough to win anyone's affection 


I stood there, crawling in my skin, looking for some place to hide

She beamed at the crowd, killing it onstage, making her smile so wide


It nearly made me forget 

She was me, I was her mind

I could tell she'd also forgotten

until the mirror stopped to remind


I've forgotten what my exact words through the mirror had said

but I recall it went something around, "you're just gold plated lead"


The whispers changed everything 

The part her life no one knows

For the rest of the world, ever since that day

She just became gold that never glows


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Forced Carnival

[Image source:  AI-generated with DALL·E] Some of the most remarkable experiences in life aren't necessarily 'fun'. They're deep as poetry, moving as the ocean waves and layered with intermixing emotions.  With this piece I wanted to highlight how joy shouldn't be compulsive, or how 'fun' isn't 'fun' if fun needs to be chased. ~~~ You must assemble near the Ferris wheel,  and we’ll play a game of deception We’ll sprint after ‘fun’ on broken glass, and catch only its reflection We must ride the Ferris wheel at sunset, and we’ll smile no matter how tired we’ve been We’ll smile for the strangers, the cameras, the aesthetic, we’ll smile because our ‘fun’ needs to be seen Dizzy as we may be, we’ll keep the wheel turning, unease building as we reach the top But if the social script demands we ride, What’s a little nausea to make us stop? We’ll ascend with rehearsed glee, screams buckled in for more Convinced the view will be different, though we’ve see...

Paul Hugo

(Image source: Wix Image Creator)

They knew better

From the window, she could see the rain pelting down. She was an artist, a songwriter, a grandmother, a brave woman. She was so many things- but in that moment as she followed her gaze along the tracks in mud left by the pouring rain, she felt suspended between the realms of life and death.  She checked the wall clock out of habit, the minute hand not having shifted an inch since she last checked. Within an hour, she would know for sure the results of her PET scan report. In the upcoming sixty minutes of her life, she would know at last if she was cancer-free. The time gap was analogous to a journey of miles and all she had was a bullock-cart. One would expect the mind to crumple down with anxiety under similar conditions but she was known to be an exceptionally calm woman. Her approach towards an organized life had her so prepared, that her retirement life was sorted by her twenties. Having lost her parents at the tender age of eight, death was no stranger to her. Her only concern...